The House of Representatives Ad Hoc Committee investigating Nigeria’s power sector reforms and expenditures between 2007 and 2024 has issued a fresh summons to several key government institutions over what lawmakers describe as repeated attempts to avoid legislative oversight.
Those summoned include the Bureau of Public Procurement, Budget Office of the Federation, Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation, Federal Ministry of Finance, Federal Ministry of Power and the Office of the Auditor-General of the Federation.
At Thursday’s resumed investigative hearing, the Committee Chairman, Ibrahim Aliyu, expressed frustration that the agencies had failed to honour earlier invitations or provide documents central to the probe.
Aliyu criticised what he called “a growing pattern of evasiveness” from institutions expected to account for billions spent on electricity projects over the years.
He directed the defaulting MDAs to appear before the committee on or before December 8, 2025, warning that any further refusal would compel the House to invoke its constitutional powers.
He said the agencies were first contacted on November 10, followed by reminders on November 19 and subsequent notifications. Yet, according to him, none acknowledged the correspondence or submitted the required documents.
“We are becoming increasingly concerned. We cannot speculate on their reasons for staying away, but these ministries and agencies are essential to unravelling the truth about spending in the power sector,” Aliyu said.
Earlier in the sitting, lawmakers supported a motion recommending that the chairman grant the agencies a brief extension and broaden the means of communication. The committee resolved to publish the summons in national newspapers to eliminate any claim of non-receipt.
Aliyu accepted the suggestions, confirming that public notices would be issued alongside fresh letters.
Aliyu accepted the suggestions, confirming that public notices would be issued alongside fresh letters.
He described the step as a final gesture of courtesy before resorting to Sections 88 and 89 of the Constitution, which empower the National Assembly to compel appearances and obtain documents from any individual or authority.
He warned that continued non-cooperation from the agencies risks undermining the entire inquiry, which aims to understand why trillions of naira invested in the sector have failed to deliver a steady electricity supply to households and businesses.
“We cannot continue under these circumstances,” he said. “These agencies must present their records. Nigerians deserve full accountability.”
The current investigation builds on years of public frustration with Nigeria’s electricity sector, which has absorbed massive government spending with little improvement to show.
Between 2007 and 2024, successive administrations initiated a series of reforms—ranging from the National Integrated Power Projects to the privatisation of generation and distribution companies, multiple interventions by the Central Bank of Nigeria, and fresh borrowings for transmission upgrades.
Despite these efforts, power generation has consistently lagged behind targets, transmission remains weak, and distribution companies continue to struggle with debt, poor metering and widespread energy losses.
Several legislative probes in the past have pointed to contract inflation, abandoned projects, weak regulation, mismanagement and a chronic lack of coordination among agencies overseeing the sector.
Billions were spent on gas supply contracts, turbine purchases, transmission lines and rural electrification schemes that either never took off or were completed without delivering expected results.
The 10th House, under the leadership of Tajudeen Abbas, is seeking a comprehensive picture of where funds went over the last 17 years, why promised reforms failed and which institutions or policies may have contributed to the sector’s stagnation.
The investigation also aims to determine whether procurement processes were followed, whether loans were properly utilised and whether previous recommendations were ignored.
With Nigeria still struggling to generate and distribute reliable electricity despite huge investments, the outcome of this probe is expected to shape future policy decisions and possibly lead to sanctions or further legislative actions.
-Advertisement-
Grab our latest Magazine, "Chief Wole Olanipekun, CFR, SAN, A man of wide horizons and deep intentions". Get your order fast and stress free.
For more details about Newswire Law&Events Magazine, kindly reach out to us on 08039218044, 09070309355. Email: newswiremagazine@yahoo.co.uk. You will be glad you did
Download E-MagazineDo you want to be heard, your events covered, your articles published, or need to advertise your products and services on our Blog and Magazine, reach out to us at Newswire Law and Events, you will be glad you did. For more details about our services, please call: 08039218044, 09070309355. Email: newswiremagazine@yahoo.co.uk







