SAN RANK: NBA CONSTITUTES THE GENERAL PURPOSES COMMITTEE
In line with Section 12(1) (k) of the Constitution of the Nigerian Bar Association, 2015 (as amended), the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has constituted the General Purposes Committee (GPC) of the NBA.
The GPC is constitutionally charged with the responsibility of (i) screening prospective candidates for the award of the rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) in accordance with the provisions of the Legal Practitioners Act; and (ii) carrying out such other functions as may be assigned to it by the President or the National Executive Committee (“NEC”) of the NBA.
As you may know, the Legal Practitioners Privileges Committee (LPPC) recently published the long list of legal practitioners for possible conferment of the rank of SAN. That publication makes it expedient that the GPC be immediately constituted.
Members of the Committee drawn from various branches of the NBA include:
(1) Kpajie Nnamdi Ibegbu, SAN (NBA Onitsha) – Chairman
(2) Chief Albert Akpomudje, SAN (NBA Warri) – Vice- Chairman;
(3) Mrs. Pat Igwebuike (NBA Oji River) – Secretary;
(4) Dr. Garba Tetengi, SAN, mni, (NBA Abuja) – Member;
(5) Mrs. Dorothy Ufot, SAN (NBA Lagos) – Member;
(6) Mr. Olalekan Ojo, SAN (NBA Ibadan) – Member;
(7) Mr. Tolu Aderemi (NBA Lagos) – Member;
(8) Mr. A.Y. Abubakar (NBA Sokoto) – Member;
(9) Mrs. Abigail Waya (NBA Lafia) – Member;
(10) Chief Serena David Dokubo-Spiff (NBA Port-Harcourt) – Member;
(11) Mr. Leader Leneke (NBA Yola) – Member; and
(12) Ms. Fatimah Dattijo-Mohammed (NBA Abuja) – Member.
The NBA looks forward to the proper discharge of the duties of the GPC by its members.
Dr. Rapulu Nduka
Nigerian Bar Association