The Chief Justice of Nigeria and Chairman, Federal Judicial Service Commission has
by a letter dated 19th January, 2022 called for nomination of suitably qualified persons
for appointment to the Supreme Court of Nigeria to fill six present or imminent vacancies.
The slots available for nomination are:
(a) Two slots for the South-East geo-political zone.
(b) One slot for the South-South geo-political zone.
(c) One slot for the South-West geo-political zone.
(d) One slot for the North-Central geo-political zone.
(e) One slot for the North-West geo-political zone.
Members of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) from the geo-political zones listed
above who are suitably qualified and are interested in applying for appointment to
the Supreme Court Bench are enjoined to submit an expression of interest to the
National Secretariat of the NBA on or before 21st February, 2022 addressed to:
Nigerian Bar Association
c/o Grace Igyo, Esq.
Head, Legal Services Department
Nigerian Bar Association
Plot 1101 Cadastral Zone A00
Central Business District
All expressions of interest should include the following attached thereto:
- A copy of the applicant’s Curriculum Vitae;
- A copy of the applicant’s Call to Bar Certificate;
- Evidence of payment of Bar Practicing Fees (BPF) for the past 10 years;
- Evidence of payment of NBA Branch Dues for the past 10 years;
- Evidence of attendance at Conferences of the NBA;
- Evidence of membership of Sections or Fora of the NBA;
- 10 Judgments delivered in contested cases the applicant conducted in the 5
years preceding 2022 certified by competent authorities for Legal Practitioners in
Private Practice; and
- A letter of good standing from the Chairman of the applicant’s Branch confirming
that he or she possess the qualities set out in Rule 4(4)(1)(a), (b) and (d) of the NJC’s Guidelines for the Appointment of Judicial Officers for Superior Courts of
- For the avoidance of doubt, these qualities are reproduced hereunder:
- “In all cases:
- a) Good character and reputation, diligence and hard work, honesty, integrity and
- sound knowledge of law and consistent adherence to professional ethics; as may
- be applicable:
- b) Active successful practice at the Bar, including satisfactory presentation of cases
- in Court as a Legal Practitioner either in private practice or as a Legal Officer in
- any Public Service;
- c) …
- d) Credible record of teaching law, legal research in a reputable University and
- publication of legal works …”
- Upon receipt of the expressions of interest, the National Secretariat shall publish the
- names of the interested candidates and request comments thereon from members
- of the NBA.
For further enquiries, kindly call the following numbers: 07039084181, 07034631029 and
Kindly note that ONLY APPLICATIONS FROM MEMBERS IN THE SHORTLISTED ZONES will
be attended to.
Dr. Babatunde Ajibade, SAN, FCIArb
Chairman NBA Judiciary Committee
Newswire Law and Events Magazine is Out. It's a collector's item. Get one - or two,or more - for yourself and loved ones.