Benin Bar, Roars Loud Over the Incessant Armed Robberies, Cult Killings and Insecurity Within Benin Metropolis.
The Nigerian Bar Association, Benin Branch (“Lion Bar”) being alarmed and worried about the increasing wave of violent crimes such as armed robbery, kidnapping, assassination and cult killings in Edo State, held an emergency meeting today (Wednesday).
At the Emergency Meeting of the Lion Bar held today the 18th day of November, 2020 at the Constance Momoh Hall of it’s secretariat, over the rising and worrisome spate of insecurity in Benin City, the following resolutions were passed:
- That the Police should rise up to the occasion and perform their statutory roles, which have now been largely abandoned despite the directive, and appeal by the Inspector General of Police (“IGP”) and the Governor of Edo State respectively.
- That the State Government is hereby urged to urgently make good its laudable promises of rebuilding the various Police Stations torched by criminal elements in the recent crises across the state, and the provision of vehicles to aid movement by the Police.
- That the Government should live up to its constitutional responsibility of protecting lives and properties in the state.
- That the Lion Bar throws its weight behind the clamour for State Police. It commends the efforts of the State Government in recently churning out over 700 Special constables aimed at community policing.
- That the Lion Bar is worried about the perceived failure, neglect and refusal of the Police to carry out their statutory duties which inaction is a fallout of the #EndSARS protests. It is hereby requested that those who are unwilling to work, should honourably resign to pave way for those willing to work.
- That other security agencies, aside the Police should collaborate with one another to ensure the security of lives and properties of citizens.
- That Parents should keep critical watch over their children and wards. It is unfortunate that a large number of our children have been denied proper parenting, consequently resulting in their joining of different secret cults and committing acts of violence in the society.
- That religious bodies and traditional institutions should imbibe in their members the core values of honesty, hard work, the fear of God, and the need to shun evil practices.
- That the Lion Bar demands the immediate dismantling of road blocks in the G.R.A. axis of the city centre, particularly around the State Police Headquarters which is largely responsible for the traffic congestion in the city and also pose a security risk.
- That the Lion Bar expresses with dismay the near absence of the 5 Units of Mobile Policemen deployed by the IGP to Edo State as their effect is not in any way felt.
Dated this 18th day of November, 2020.
Pius I. Oiwoh, Esq, Chairman, NBA Benin
O. A. Lawani, Esq, Secretary NBA Benin
Do you want to be heard, your events covered, your articles published, or needs to advertise your products and services on our Blog and Magazine, reach out to us at Newswire Law and Events, you will be glad you did. For more details about our services, please call: 08039218044, 08059676999, 09070309355. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Newswire Law and Events Magazine is Out. It's a collector's item. Get one - or two,or more - for yourself and loved ones.