NBA Inaugurates 2018 Electoral Committee
The President of Nigerian Bar Association, Mr. Abubakar Mahmoud, SAN, yesterday at the national secretariat of the association in Abuja inaugurated NBA 2018 Electoral Committee, ECNBA.
The five member committee has Prof. Auwalu Yadudu, SAN as Chairman; Mr. Teslim Olatunde Busari, SAN as Alternate Chairman; and Mr. Bolaji A. Agoro Esq. as Secretary. Other members of the committee are Prof. Augustin Agom and Gloria Anuli Ohia. The electoral committee members were nominated and approved at the last NEC meeting of the Nigerian Bar Association held in Ilorin, Kwara State.
Prof. Agom was nominated to replace Mr. Tobias Kekemeke, whose nomination was rejected by Bar leaders NBA in Ilorin, who alleged that he was already soliciting for votes for one of the Presidential candidates in the upcoming 2018 NBA election.
The terms of reference of the committee include;
- To manage, control and conduct elections of national officers;
- To screen aspirants for the election;
- To circulate the list of properly nominated candidates to all the branches and the candidates by e-mails and publish it on NBA website before the elections;
- To publish a full list of all legal practitioners qualified to vote, before the date of the elections;
- To publish the curriculum viteae, comprehensive manifestoes and campaign material of all the qualified candidates on the NBA website;
- To issue guidelines for the conduct of the electronic voting;
- To collate and arrange all the materials of qualified candidates in alphabetical order and publish them in electronic magazine on NBA website before the election;
- To hear appeals of candidates dissatisfied with the decision of Electoral Officers or their Assistants, and;
- To take decisions upon receiving appeals made by a candidates.
Prof Yadudu thanked the NBA for the opportunity to serve and promised that his committee would discharge its duties according to the constitution of the NBA, and the fear of God.
He also promised that the committee will publish a full list of all legal practitioners who are qualified to vote before the date of the elections and hear appeals, among others.
The inauguration was witnessed by many national officers including the General Secretary of the NBA, Aare Isiaka Olagunju; 1st Vice-President of the NBA, Mr. Caleb Dajan; National Publicity Secretary, John Austin Unachukwu; 2nd Assistant Secretary, Cecilia Ugbuji; Assistant Financial Secretary, Ngozi Udodi, etc.